Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Shake Shack, continued

I just learned that Danny Meyer is opening yet another Shake Shack, this one in the Fulton Mall in Brooklyn. These uppity-duppity hamburger joints are now ubiquitous, and it bugs me that one of them stands in Madison Square Park. I don't care that this was the original Shack. Now that it's a chain, its design and logo are no longer distinct.(Frankly I never thought its design worthy of Madison Square to begin with). I say the Shack's presence cheapens the park. To say nothing of all the space it hogs, what with all those lines of people waiting for an hour to eat one of those hamburgers. Why should a chain restaurant be allowed to profit from this unique public space at the foot of the Flatiron? Would the public tolerate the sight of a McDonald's Golden Arch there? Somehow I don't think so.

No comments: